Saturday, August 05, 2006

welcome to mexico

I'm currently sitting in the big room of La Casa Verde in Cholula, Mexico. I left the country 36 hours ago, but it feels like it has been several days. We started for the airport at 4:15 Eastern time in the morning on Friday morning, and we didn't get to the house until 5 pm, Central time. We rode on two planes, wandered through a massive airport in Mexico City, rode a bus for two hours, and rode another for 30 minutes before finally arriving at the campus house.

We ate a fantastic Mexican dinner last night, including a drink called "Agua de Jamaica," which looked like cherry kool-aid but actually was supposed to taste like a flower (called the Jamaica in Mexico, I'm not sure what it's called in the States). For dinner, I had a "Gringa" - two flour tortillas, with this meat called pastor meat and pineapple.

Today, our whole group of 10 people did a scavenger hunt all over Cholula. We first ended up at the highest church in Cholula, which is built on top of old Aztec pyramid ruins. The pyramid was destroyed by Europeans so they could build the church and "Catholicize" the country. We wandered all over the city square and went to the mall to finish our scavenger hunt.

After the hunt, we came back to the house, talked about rules and expectations for exchange students, and hung out. The guys played "washers," a game originating in rural Georgia that has become quite popular in Cholula thanks to El Pozo. The girls rode the bus back towards the pyramid and hung out in a big open-air market area.

Hopefully, we're moving into our dorms tomorrow. I think it will be nice to get settled.

5 Comments:

At 11:27 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

You should post pictures on your blog sometime! It sounds like you live in a really cool area. I'm excited for you.

-- Claire

 
At 4:44 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

It sounds like your team is insane. That's good though, cause my team is pretty insane. This German guy, Thomas, is so cool, but thinks Stephanie and I are crazy because he can't understand our English because we laugh and yell around him. We forget that just because he isn't Thai doesn't mean he's American. Anyway, tell me stories, lots of them.
I have a Thai nickname. It's Kaimook. It means "pearl" and so does Meagan.

 
At 11:45 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Mmmmm Jamaica! I am a big fan of the Manzanita Sol soda. It had to be my Dr. Pepper substitute for 5 weeks. Apple soda, yum!

 
At 12:11 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Dude aqua de jamaica and gringas ... that is two of my fave Mexican things... good choice, good choice! Hope you are having fun! I miss you!

 
At 1:36 AM, Blogger emily said...

Hi Dregerini!
I love your blog. I got a calling card so that I can call you whenever you get a local phone #. Will investigate Skype. Colorado is pretty wacky.

At the Romain fam reunion, there was a 20+ person washer tournament. It was really big in E'ville. Here, I think they'd just think you were high.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home