Friday, October 27, 2006

Going to the jungle

We are two and a half hours away from leaving for Chiapas, and I'm getting excited. I'm packed, and I'm ready for the adventure. I think it's going to be a blast. We're riding a bus ALL night, and tomorrow we'll be in Palanque, home to some of the most beautiful Mayan ruins and waterfalls in Mexico. After that, we'll be visiting San Cristobal (a colonial city) and Tuxtla (the capital), as well as our friend Pancho's house for a couple of days. I think it'll be a blast.

On a side note, many people associate Chiapas with violence and uprisings. Just to clarify: although political struggles still exist, the Zapatistas are now strictly that: a political organization. The possibility for violence obviously still exists, but if you play it smart, it's definitely a safe, enjoyable place to visit. So don't do a google search, see the word "Zapatista," and worry too much.

I promise I'll have a ton of pictures and lots of stories in a week. Pray for safety and a great trip, if you would. Thanks!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home